AMCP Foundation Virtual Preceptors
AbbVie, Inc., Genentech, Inc. Pfizer, Inc., and the AMCP Foundation, together offer nine unique internships in Managed Care and Association Management. These immersive experiences provide participants with an introduction to the managed care pharmacy profession and help them develop research, communication, interpersonal, and leadership skills.
Most participants are usually placed at PBMs, health plans, or employer sites, as well as, AbbVie, Genentech, Pfizer, and the AMCP Foundation with an on-site preceptor. Participants in the Pfizer MC program are paired with Medical Outcomes Analytics (MOA) and Pfizer Oncology program participants are paired with Field Medical Directors (FMDs). All programs offer peer-to-peer interaction with intern alumni as part of the Intern Exchange Program.
To enhance exposure to the programs, the AMCP Foundation is seeking virtual preceptors for the summer of 2023.
What is a virtual preceptor?
Virtual preceptors prepare interns for Day 1, while also staying engaged after the internship to extend the guidance period so that interns receive coaching before and after their actual 10-week internship. Must be a pharmacist/managed care professional with practice, teaching (faculty/mentoring/educator/preceptor), and/or management experience, and an AMCP Member.
What is the time commitment for the virtual preceptor?
The estimated time commitment is one hour or less per week for the duration of the internship.
What is expected of a virtual preceptor? Specific expectations are:
- Prepare a suggested reading list (6-8 readings)
- Educate your intern on AMCP and Foundation resources available through membership
- Contact your intern weekly to check in via email or any communication platform you choose
- Hold a 30-minute conference call with your intern halfway through the internship
- Review your intern's draft abstract and poster for presentation at AMCP
- Relay any feedback or concerns to AMCP Foundation staff on an ongoing basis, and complete a post-program evaluation.
Virtual preceptors will be paired with 1-2 interns and invited to all intern presentations.
Questions? Contact Ebony Clay.
Learn more about AMCP Foundation Internships.