AMCP Foundation Presents Highest Managed Care Pharmacy Award to Steven G. Avey
The AMCP Foundation is delighted to present the organization's highest honor this year to the award's namesake: Steven G. Avey, MS, RPh, FAMCP. The Avey Award will be presented by the AMCP Foundation President on March 27 at the Annual Awards Dinner as part of the AMCP Annual Meeting in San Diego, Calif. The Avey Award is managed care pharmacy's most prestigious recognition, which celebrates sustained, exemplary and distinguished service to the profession of managed care pharmacy.
"Steve has long been a guiding light in managed care pharmacy," says Paula J. Eichenbrenner, MBA, CAE, Executive Director of the AMCP Foundation. "He is both the inspiration and the personal embodiment of this award that recognizes trailblazers who have made lasting contributions to our profession. We are thrilled to present this award to him."
Avey has excelled in managed care leadership, research, professionalism, advocacy, innovation, and collaboration. He assumed the elected office of AMCP President in 1998, and in 2000 was hired as the AMCP Foundation Executive Director. During his tenure, the Foundation began its Best Poster Competition to recognize outstanding research conducted by student pharmacists, residents, and fellows. The Avey Award was named for Mr. Avey in 2005. Read Avey's full bio here.
The Foundation caught up with Mr. Avey to get some thoughts:
What is your reaction to receiving this award?
One of great humility and respect for those who have received the award previously.
What are the qualities or traits that you think embody this award?
- Someone who works hard.
- Someone who tries always to do the right thing.
- Someone who is respectful of everyone, no matter whether they agree with them or not.
- Someone who steps back and considers how things could be instead of always worrying about the way things are now.
- Someone who is greatly blessed to have opportunities placed in front of them.
- Someone who has been blessed to have great people to mentor, guide, and support them.
- Someone who has great family support to allow them to passionately seek to do important things.
What advice can you give young managed care pharmacy professionals about striving for excellence?
- Work hard.
- Always be kind to everyone.
- Be a peacemaker not a divider.
- Take time to step back and ponder every day.
- Never take yourself too seriously, but take your responsibilities seriously.